Lora F. Hamp
Ms. Hamp practices in the areas of estate planning, estate administration, and elder law.
Prior to joining the firm, she practiced law in the Private Wealth Services Division of McGuire Woods in Charlottesville. She brings to the practice of elder law and estate planning a wide spectrum of professional experiences in the field of aging. Formerly, she worked with the University of Virginia’s Institute on Aging, the Valley Program for Aging Services, and she earned a nursing home administrator’s license with training at Riverside Convalescent Center.
In 2002, Ms. Hamp was awarded the Borchard Research Fellowship in Law and Aging after graduating from the University of Virginia School of Law. Her work as the Borchard Fellow involved designing and establishing the Advocacy Clinic for the Elderly at UVA’s law school. She subsequently served as the coordinator and co-instructor for the clinic. She also served as a consultant to the National Academy of Sciences Panel to Review Risk and Prevalence of Elder Abuse and Neglect. Her legal research is included in the panel’s report, Elder Mistreatment: Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation in an Aging America, published by the National Academy Press (2002).
Ms. Hamp earned a master’s degree in gerontology from the Medical College of Virginia and an undergraduate degree from the College of William and Mary.
Place of Birth
- Portsmouth, Virginia
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- Virginia Tax Review, Editorial Board Member
- National Academy of Sciences Panel to Review Risk and Prevalence of Elder Abuse and Neglect, Consultant
- Medical College of Virginia – Virginia Commonwealth University, M.S., Gerontology
- Virginia Graduate Fellowship
- Theresa Thomas Scholars Award Recipient
- 1997 Gerontology Student of the Year
- College of William and Mary, B.S., Chemistry and Music
- Gladys Iseman Clark Scholarship Recipient
- Virginia Supreme Court
Professional Associations and Activities
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association
- Staunton, Waynesboro, Augusta County Bar Association
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Augusta Health Foundation, Board Member, 2014 – Present
- Waynesboro Rotary Club, Member, 2012 – Present
- WVPT, PBS Television Station, Board Member, 2008 – 2011
- Westwood Hills Elementary Parent Teacher Organization, Board Member, 2009 – 2011
- President, 2010 – 2011
- Vice-President, 2009 – 2010
- First Baptist Church, Waynesboro, Virginia, Trustee, Sunday School Teacher and Former Deacon
- Daily Living Center, Inc., Adult Day Care Center, Former Board Member
- Virginia Association on Aging, Former Board Member
- Governor’s Commission on Community Service and Volunteerism, Former Member
- Virginia’s Ambassador for Aging, Virginia Department for the Aging, 1992
Career Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Alumna Award, Department of Gerontology, MCV-VCU, 2006
- Borchard Research Fellowship in Law and Aging, 2002 – 2003
- “Analysis of Elder Abuse and Neglect Definitions Under State Law,” Elder Mistreatment: Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation in an Aging America (National Academies Press, 2002)
- National Handbook on Laws and Programs Affecting Senior Citizens (served as principal drafter with others), (American Bar Association Press, 1998)
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
- Elder Law